I think by now every IT administrator knows about #WannaCry. If not, here are a few links:
The important thing ist, that the fix for Windows OS younger than Vista and Server 2008 and Vista is available since march. But the fix for XP and Server 2003 has only been published on Saturday I think. But it won’t appear on your WSUS until you import it manually, and you should do that right now!
Sorry for the German screenshots, but I think it will get you there!
- Start WSUS MMC and click on “import updates”
- Make sure the Windows Update Catalog opens up in Internet Explorer 11 (Make IE11 your default browser). It will most certainly ask you to install the “Microsoft Update Catalog” Addon. Allow it.
- Install the addon
- Search for the KB4012598
- Add all security patches to the “shopping basket (?)”
- Open the basket
- Import all 13 updates directly into WSUS
- Wait for the process to be successful
- You’re done!
You now have to wait until your servers and clients report the next time to WSUS. They will then discover, that they need that update! I hope you have enough time left on this Sunday, to fulfill this #WannaCry challange.