I just stumbled over something at a customers environment. We had a Outlook 2016 / Office 365 problem in a XenApp session. We tried to access the Outlook control panel item, but it was missing. This was no surprise, as we have the GPO…
Show only specified Control Panel items
…enabled in every environment. This acts as a whitelisting for the control panel items, so the user only has access to those items, that matter to him.The surprise was, that the control panel item for Outlook 2016 was missing, although we configured it in the corresponding GPO:
After a bit research we found out, that despite this Group Policy’s behavior in the past, the item should not be named exactly like its original naming:
The trick is, to cut the (32-Bit) from the naming in the GPO:
Afterwards, the Control Panel item is finally visible again. Hope I could help someone!